[TriLUG] SWAP and SSD vs HDD

Ken MacKenzie ken at mack-z.com
Wed Nov 5 22:45:15 EST 2014

I have a machine I am setting up.  OS will be installed on the SSD.  The
HDD I will partition to hold:

/home
/var

and other data storage partitions

Question is, should I put the swap space on the HDD or SSD?  Pros and cons
for each method?  Considerations regarding machine usage I need to ask
myself to help better make that decision.

Machine is a 3.5 ghz I3 with 4GB Ram at present.  Plan to up that to 8gb
come spring. If it matters it is a Lenovo Thinkserver TS140.  Just bought
it.

HDD is 1 TB
SSD is not here yet, a 500gb hdd is in its place till I put in the SSD come
spring.  But as I am partitioning the 1TB drive I thought it best to
consider this now vs later.  However I am thinking a 128gb ssd will be more
than enough in this usage.

It will be a workstation at home but run all the time as it will be serving
a couple of KVM instances that will truly function as servers.  Backup
solution at present is an external 2TB drive that is also being replaced
come spring.

Ken