[TriLUG] .NET on Linux

Lee Fickenscher elfick at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 08:47:03 EST 2014

Ah, I do see your point, and I agree, but probably not for the reasons to
which you were alluding.
The reason you wouldn't do what you describe is more about hardware and OS
licensing.
You can only legally run Mac OS on Apple-branded hardware and Apple no
longer even makes an attempt at producing server-specific hardware.
That leaves you without a clear server OS/hardware vendor, unless you want
to build a cluster of Mac Pro workstations, which has been done quite
successfully in the past and I'm sure someone is working on a cluster of
the current Mac Pros (can't wait to see it).

On the back end, Mac OS is mostly OSS... Apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc...
You name it and it is probably available or can be easily compiled to run
on mac. You could do just about anything with an Apple machine that you
would do with a Linux box... It would just be an unnecessary additional
expense.

You are definitely correct that .NET isn't going to change a thing for
Apple. What you may not realize is that Apple may be part of the reason
that MS decided to open source it. Apple just released a new programming
language and I wouldn't be surprised that, with the install-base of iOS, MS
wanted to shore up it's position by making .NET more widely used.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swift_(programming_language)

"Even with the IBM deal, you are only going to get applications for the end
user." In the end, doesn't everything we do in the computer field come down
to applications for the end user? :)