[TriLUG] mailman hosting with private searchable archives?

Lisa Lorenzin lorenzin at 1000plus.com
Fri Nov 21 16:01:07 EST 2014

hi all,

does anyone know of an email list hosting service - ideally mailman-based,
but not necessarily - that offers private (access-controlled)
web-searchable list archives?

my ex-employer divested the products i support to a private equity firm
which has stood us up as an independent company, so i'm basically working
for a startup-equivalent.  we need internal technical email lists with two
primary features:

a) subscription to the list must be controlled, but non-members must be
able to send email to the list (i.e. you must be a member to receive
email, but not to send email)

b) the list must be archived to a private web-searchable archive (i.e.
only list members can access and/or search the archive)

i suggested that we set up a virtual instance with mailman + htdig + these
htdig patches:
http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mm/patches/444884/index.html

which looks like it'd do exactly what we need, but i'm getting pushback
because our IT team is very small and prefers to minimize internal
infrastructure and use hosted services wherever possible.

if anyone can suggest a hosted solution - ideally running mailman, since i
know that does all the various moderations functions we need, but we're
open to anything that offers the subscriber/sender flexibility above - i
would appreciate it very much!

 					regards,

 						lisa

lisa lorenzin  |  lorenzin at 1000plus.com
of what avail is an open eye if the heart is blind? - solomon ibn gavirol