[TriLUG] OT: lack of security at BofA

Wes Garrison wes at xitechusa.com
Mon Dec 22 09:22:37 EST 2014

I will take Aaron's position one step farther and say that ALL of the costs
are pushed back on the merchant (merchant means business owner), unless the
merchant has gone out of business.

You can not win one of these disputes (as a business owner) without an
imprint of the card.

At Takeout Central, we accept "card not present" transactions, which means
that anytime someone uses a fraudulent card at our business, we are
screwed.  Not only does the money come back out of our account, they also
charge us a "chargeback fee" which is usually $25.  It continues to amaze
me how many people do not know this.  Pretty much only business owners know
this.

The way we protect ourselves is to require a valid CVV code in order to
process a transaction.  The CVV is printed on the card, but NOT stored on
the magnetic stripe, so the person presumably has to have the card in hand
in order to use it.  (of course they could have stolen the CVV in other
ways).

This still does not protect us from someone who has managed to get the CVV
number somehow.

Last year I had 15 disputes at once, all from a Raleigh Doctor whose (14
yr. old) daughter was using her card to order "dinner for 2" at home at 4
PM.  I did finally end up winning the disputes, but I still lost the $375
in chargeback fees.  To add injury to insult when we "won", they processed
the chargeback refunds as negative chargebacks instead of as a "reversal",
so they credited us back the merchandise amount but charged me $375 more in
chargeback fees for receiving the credit.  So ... $750 in fees for someone
using her mom's credit card.

This is a bad situation.

Wesley S. Garrison
Network Engineer
Xitech Communications, Inc.
phone:  (919) 260-0803
pager:   (919) 869-1744
fax:       (919) 932-5051
"Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from email."