[TriLUG] OT: lack of security at BofA

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at austintek.com
Mon Dec 22 09:46:55 EST 2014

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014, Wes Garrison wrote:

> I will take Aaron's position one step farther and say that ALL of the costs
> are pushed back on the merchant

Until yesterday and on talking with Tim at Intrex, I had not thought about the
vendor's role in this. I had assumed the vendor's only costs were the processing
fees ( which I thought were about 2% of the transaction).

As far as the transaction is concerned, the credit card part is an agreement
between the customer and the credit card bank. The vendor's only role is to
declare the amount of the transaction. It would seem that the methods used by
the banks to authenticate the customer are hopelessly inadequate from the start
and are decades behind the fraudsters. When authentication fails and fail it
must, the banks being bullies, push the cost on the vendor, who is only a
witness to the transaction and has no power to prevent fraud.

Bank of America yesterday showed no understanding of authentication in their
interaction with me. I'm not surprised they can't authenticate customers at the
PoS.

Yesterday I wondered how banks could make money with the costs of fraud (which I
estimated were 1% of the transactions). Now I see that fraud doesn't cost them
anything. They push the costs on to the vendors.

Just wait till chip and pin is introduced and the costs will be pushed onto the
customers.

Joe
jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml