[TriLUG] OT: lack of security at BofA

Heath Roberts htroberts at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 14:03:09 EST 2014

Sorry, I missed the link--there's been a lot of content tossed around here.

I'm pretty sure the 'liability shift' mentioned here is not to the
consumer, but to the merchant (or card-issuing bank, should the bank choose
not to issue cards with chips).

Here's a quote from the Visa announcement:

The policy assigns liability for counterfeit fraud to the party that has not
> made the investment in EMV chip cards (issuers) or terminals (merchants’
> acquirers). The policy encourages wider deployment of EMV cards and
> terminals.

I've not looked at the announcements from the other payment processors
(Master Card, American Express, Discover), but I'm going to assume their
language is similar.

In the U.S., I believe consumers' liability will continue to be limited by
Federal Reserve Board Regulation E, pursuant to The Electronic Fund
Transfer Act of 1978 (until & unless the law is changed).

Regards,
Heath

--
Heath Roberts