[TriLUG] Epoch Init System Howto

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Dec 30 22:23:47 EST 2014

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 22:12:58 -0500
Lee Fickenscher <elfick at gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't read the whole article, but it looked interesting in my
> skim. I had two questions though:
> 1) did you consider/evaluate launchd? I'm curious how it would stand
> up to the others.

My only opinion on launchd is that it contains an XML parser, either in
PID1 or in something PID1 launches and then gets feedback from. If it's
in PID1, that's a supremely bad idea. If it's in a child of PID1,
that's still not a great idea.

> 2) What is a 'real linux user' as referenced in the 7th paragraph
> from the bottom... "And Red Hat suffered serious damage to their
> brand, at least among many real Linux users." Are you concerned that
> imaginary linux users will feel left out?

Thanks for finding that ambiguity. What I meant was somebody not using
it as a poor man's Mac or a zero cost Windows machine, and explicitly
somebody who isn't afraid of a command prompt or an editor. I should
fix that before the imaginary Linux users haunt my house and throw
things around.

SteveT