[TriLUG] OT: local source for logic ICs?

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com
Mon Jan 19 08:25:13 EST 2015

On 01/16/2015 02:51 PM, Michael Peters wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 2:28 PM, Robert Dale <robdale at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 2:18 PM, <matt at noway2.thruhere.net> wrote:
>>> I hate to say it, but hobby electronics has died.
> Like someone else in this thread has mentioned, I completely disagree.
> I think it's alive and thriving. All local mom and pops are suffering
> because of the internet. I used to spend hours browsing music in
> small, local record shops when I was younger. None of those exist
> anymore but I can now access that exact same music and tons more
> online.
>
> Yes I mourn their loss, but I now have access to more songs than ever.
> Doesn't mean music has died, just changed.
Since no one has clobbered this thread for its hearty digression, I'll
bound in with a few items worth noting.

Asia has flourishing retail support for DIY gadget hounds.  Type DROK or
RioRand into the amazon.com search field for some examples, or just "PCB
kit" in the electronics category.  You can find very inexpensive
circuits for all kinds of small projects, although the instructions may
require translation.

I recently built a tone control preamp shipped from Tiawan.  The
component markings on the PCB were all in English, so I had no problem
soldering it together.

Also take heed, deliveries from these places can take weeks.

Jameco and Parts Express are local part and tool supply houses. Velleman
out of Belgium has some great hobby products.  For microcontroller
hackers, it's hard to beat adafruit and Maker Shed.

I haven't made anything like a thorough survey, I'm sure there's more.
The choices are more far-flung and specialized than they used to be.  If
you begin with an open mind towards your next project, you'll likely
find some neat stuff to improvise.

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote