[TriLUG] Items to give away

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 18:47:39 EST 2015

On 02/11/2015 05:06 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 15:07:26 -0500
> Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/11/2015 02:40 PM, David Burton wrote:
>>> On the off chance that wasn't a joke...
>>> http://www.ebay.com/sch/Printers-/1245/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=NEC+Spinwriter
>>
>> Those are all actually "pin-writers", as in "no-spin". I meant the
>> ball-type "daisy wheels". They do one thing no other printer will do,
>> print through 7 carbons with true perfect letter quality.
>>
>> I had one connected to an Apple][ back when. I could print at least a
>> case of paper with one ribbon. I have a serial port nothing uses
>> anymore. So, just to possess one of those clattering beasts would be
>> my notion of fun. The one I had came with a keyboard! :) Ric
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHgpmwIkIgg
>>

> This is similar to, but much faster than, my old Juki Daisy Wheel
> printer that I used with my Kaypro 2x:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gjln8KygG0
>
> However, apparently the Juki could do only an original and three
> carbons:
>
> http://www.atarimagazines.com/creative/v10n5/176_Juki_6100.php

18 cps? My Spinwriter could do 55cps in bi-directional mode. It buffered
the next line, did a line-feed at the end of line and printed the next
line backwards. Plus, it didn't "print" a space, or a tab, it moved the
head to the next printable character. Plus, using WordStar, it would
twitch the roll to do a super or sub char. I loved to watch that thing!
I wonder if Open Office would know how to do that today with one?

"The carbon single-strike ribbons offer extremely high quality, are
available for less than $2 each, and are rated for 160,000 characters
(50 to 100 pages depending on how full you pack them "

Try THAT nowadays. I thought Popular Mechanics, in the 50's, described
the world of 2000 as having better, faster and CHEAPER stuff! My
father's generation would be displeased by some of the things we bend
over for, especially with printing today. Of course, they had the Nash
Rambler. <grins> Maybe it IS better today?? :) Ric

p/s NEC used print "thimbles" and Diablo (and others) had the "daisy
wheel". All of them just fascinated the heck out of me to watch.

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html