[TriLUG] Article on Radio Shack's Demise

Scott Chilcote via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Feb 18 14:32:25 EST 2015

On 02/18/2015 01:06 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>
>>> http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21643461-radio-shack-lost-its-way-when-it-ditched-its-hobbyist-customers-making-it
>>>

> the author seems to think that Fry's got it right. Every mention of
> Fry's in forums I see is by someone who hates the place.
>
> Joe

Even when Radio Shack was going full tilt in the 70s and 80s, most of
the hobbyists and experimenters I met had a poor opinion of their
products.

I recall attempting to build an audio amplifier using one of their LM383
chips, and having it work poorly. Even with good heat sinking, it
distorted at any volume above a whisper.  I replaced it with the same
component from Jim-Pak, and it worked fine.  I had similar experiences
with their 74NN logic chips when I was buying them for college lab
courses.

I heard repeatedly from people in the industry that the Shack sold
production end-runs and seconds, so it was a crap shoot whether your
project would work.  As much as I liked their convenience, I went
elsewhere for electronic components whenever I could find a local source.

Going back even further, I recall having much more positive experiences
with Lafeyette Electronics and Heathkit stores.  It's a shame that geek
supporting retailers have had so much trouble keeping their doors open.

   Scott C.

--
Scott Chilcote
scottchilcote at ncrrbiz.com