[TriLUG] Need help with recovering data from a drive

Moustapha Barry via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Apr 4 23:25:45 EDT 2015

Folks,
I have a machine that would not boot. Operating system not found. I tried
to use testdisk without luck. I than used a usb Linux boot stick to image
the drive. I get the error in the picture attached.
Error creating disk image: Error allocating space for disk image file: File
too large (g-io-error-quark, 0)

I am assuming that the empty space is considered in this image I am trying
to make. I did not use a particular tool but just clicking on the "More
Actions" icon at the bottom of the volume and selecting Create Disk Image
(see second image attached.

I would appreciate anybody's help on this. I believe that the boot record
was damaged and that imaging the drive will allow me to recover the data on
it. Is there any tool I can use to recover the data on this drive?
Thanks,
Moose

--
If you want more joy in your life, do whatever you're doing with more joy;
as long as it is good for The All Mighty's creation.

"If you think that you are to small to make a difference in life, try
sleeping with a mosquito." The Dalai Lama

"There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or
to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking" - Alfred Korzybski