[TriLUG] dying disk with LBA error but no reallocated sectors

Ric Moore via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Apr 16 12:30:43 EDT 2015

On 04/16/2015 08:45 AM, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2015, Bill Farrow via TriLUG wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 8:04 AM, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG
>> <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>>> Why isn't an LBA error correctable by reallocating a sector?
>>
>> Joe,
>> You may have to force the relocation process by writing to the bad
>> sector.
>>  http://www.sj-vs.net/forcing-a-hard-disk-to-reallocate-bad-sectors/
>
> fabulous. Let me give it a go. I didn't realise that you had to write in
> order to reallocate a bad sector.
>
> I have a monthly cron job to fill my disk partitions with zeroes (dd
> if=/dev/zero of=zero.zero; rm zero.zero). I have noticed that sometimes
> I'll get a reallocated sector out of it. I assumed this was because I
> was accessing a sector that hadn't been accessed for a while. I didn't
> realise it was the write that was forcing the reallocation.

 From that page:
     $ smartctl -a /dev/sdb | grep -i reallocated

     5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   005    Pre-fail
Always       –       0
     196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       –       0

...to:
$ hdparm –read-sector 1261069669 /dev/sdb

how did he calculate the sector??
Thanks, Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html