[TriLUG] Javascript ( and jQuery ) questions

Brian McCullough via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Apr 19 11:25:53 EDT 2015

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 08:33:32AM -0400, Scott Chilcote wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> This sounds a lot like something I did using Python and jQuery recently. One thing that I observed is that with Ajax the debugger breakpoints stop working, presumably because the transaction between the browser and the server has to run to completion.
>
> The part of your description that I don't understand is that it seems as if you are sending the accordion to the server. The accordion is a browser display widget. I requested the data that I needed from the server using Ajax, then used it to build tables to put in the accordion.
>
> The accordion object remained local to the browser.
>
> Does this sound like what you want to accomplish?

Sorry, Scott.  I probably did a shortcut in my description.

Actually, the content of the accordion is what the AJAX is ultimately
delivering.

What I am trying to send to the server is the value ( id, whatever ) of
the "selected" accordion item.

There are two accordions on the page, one in the left column and one in
the right.  This is the left column, and, at the moment ( the beginning
) there are only the "heading" items, no children except a placeholder
for each.

I am trying to click on one of the accordion headings on the left, open
that item ( show it selected ) and then click a "do it" button which
collects the information needed by the server, including the selected
left accordion item, so that it can rebuild the left side ( including
accordion ) from the database, returning all of that HTML as the AJAX
payload.

Does that help with the description of the goal and the issues?

In my head, everything makes sense, but, in practice, I seem to be
running into very big stone walls. I suspect that I am trying to make it
do something that is not possible, but.....

> Scott C.

Brian