[TriLUG] booting an external disk with grub 0.97

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Apr 20 23:23:08 EDT 2015

On 4/20/15 9:38 PM, Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG wrote:
> I boot and the machine boots off the 3.5.3 kernel on the external disk
> (as I expect), and then mounts the internal disk (which I don't want),
> which also has an /dev/sda3, as the root partition.

It sounds to me like grub is doing its job.  However, there
is some ambiguity about which disk is sda.  That's not unexpected
in cases like this... you can't count on the enumeration provided
by the storage drivers.  Can you change the kernel command line
so that it uses a UUID or a label to identify the intended root
partition?

Alan