[TriLUG] TriLUG Server Refresh

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Apr 30 14:02:29 EDT 2015

My $0.02

* Use ESXi - it is free to use for a single-node install, very well proven
in the field, easy to manage, and lots of people have experience if you
need help

* Use hardware RAID if possible.  While LVM/MD raid works well, consider
the person who has to replace a failed drive.  Hardware RAID = simple drive
swap.  Software RAID = user-involved actions.  In addition, you can get
plugins into the ESXi interface that show the state of the RAID
controller.  And, you can run a cron job using the "megaCLI" tools that
show the state of the RAID.

* As noted earlier, the firewall should handle all NAT/PAT stuff.  pfSense
is a great firewall device - it has an easy-to-use GUI with lots of power
on the back end.  It takes minimal hardware (512M RAM, 1 vCPU, etc).  Best
of all, you can run it on bare metal or as a VM.  You might consider using
your existing server as your firewall appliance and your new server to
handle your VMs.

* Something not noted earlier: VM backups.  Suggest you get a NAS or other
device to backup your VMs on a daily basis.  If you keep your first server,
you can run a pfSense VM for firewall traffic and one FreeNAS VM to hold
data backups.  There are some free tools (ghettoVCB) you can use for
automated ESXi backups.

I have done many of these types of setups before using the aforementioned
tools and manage a number of them in production data centers.  Let me know
if you need any help.

-Ron