[TriLUG] TriLUG Server Refresh

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Apr 30 15:20:35 EDT 2015

Depends on the requirements.  If speed is favored over space, RAID 10 is
better.  If stability is favored over speed, I would suggest RAID-6
(dual-parity).  These questions depend on performance requirements, number
of VMs to be hosted, the time it takes to get to the server and replace the
drive, etc.

For what its worth, I normally do RAID-6 setups where performance is not
critical simply because it gives me more time to replace a bad drive.
Using RAID-5, you only have so much time available before the next drive
goes bad.  I have not had bad luck with RAID-5 or RAID-6.  But, I tend to
pick only enterprise-rated drives with high-quality RAID cards (LSI).

Finally, SSDs are great *if* you need the performance and are willing to
spend the money.  Right now, you can get the Samsung 850-EVO 1TB SSD drives
for about $400/ea.  If 1TB is enough space, get two and put them in a
RAID-1 configuration.