[TriLUG] Debian on basic file server

Ken M via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 21 11:07:33 EDT 2015

As great as all the micro distros are I tend to not like the choices they make.  To me it seems simpler to do the following.

Debian install, only choose the basic needs, no gui, and file server install option.  After install pick your guy. Something light like xfce or openbox or something.  Default wants to install gnome 3 which is a bit heavy.  If you need samba set that up as well.

32 vs 64. Doesn't matter with only a gig of ram.  The points about MySQL memory usage hold but for the most part you will probably notice little difference IMO.

Sent from my iPad