[TriLUG] any OpenSSL/cert experts out there?

Greg Brown via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu May 21 13:42:51 EDT 2015

I have a question related to SSL running on a Linux host.  I created a .csr
file that I sent off to have signed.  One of the fields in the csr is "CN"
which, to the best of my understanding, should be the FQDN of the host on
which the cert will live.

If I check the csr this is what I get (with data scrubbed a bit):

openssl req -text -noout -verify -in my.csr

Subject: C=US, ST=North Carolina, L=DURHAM, O=MYORG, OU=MYOU, CN=
MY.FULLY.QUALIFIED.HOSTNAME.EDU

However if I check the resulting .cer

openssl x509 -in my.fullyqualified.hostname.edu.cer -text -noout | grep CN

the CN line reads:
        Issuer: C=SE, O=AddTrust AB, OU=AddTrust External TTP Network,
CN=AddTrust External CA Root
        Subject: C=SE, O=AddTrust AB, OU=AddTrust External TTP Network,
CN=AddTrust External CA Root
                DirName:/C=SE/O=AddTrust AB/OU=AddTrust External TTP
Network/CN=AddTrust External CA Root

That's not right, is it?

Any thoughts, pointers, etc greatly appreciated.  As you probably can tell
I've never installed a signed cert before.

Greg