[TriLUG] New Qemu and VirtualBox docs for Linux

Alan Porter via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun May 24 20:56:06 EDT 2015

> Thank you. I didn't know that. Where can I read more about Virtual
> Box's CLI?

I have found that I tend to use a very small number of virtualbox
commands over and over, and I tend to forget their details.  So I
created this little function in my $HOME/.bashrc .  Maybe it'll
help you or others on the list.  The "sh -xc" part is so it will
echo the commands to stderr before running them... hopefully to
reinforce the proper command as I run my shortcut.

Alan

function vbox () {
   local vm="$2"
   case "$1" in
     start) { sh -xc "VBoxManage startvm \"$vm\" --type headless" ; } ;;
     pause) { sh -xc "VBoxManage controlvm \"$vm\" savestate" ; } ;;
     stop)  { sh -xc "VBoxManage controlvm \"$vm\" poweroff" ; } ;;
     list)  { sh -xc "VBoxManage list runningvms" ; } ;;
     all)   { sh -xc "VBoxManage list vms" ; } ;;
     *)     echo "vbox start|pause|stop|list|all" ;;
   esac
}