[TriLUG] LVM - searching in wilderness for guru

MR-pootr via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue May 26 13:31:38 EDT 2015

Dear TriLUGers,

I bought a 750GB hard drive
Installed it in laptop
Booted from Ubuntu 14.04 on a USB stick
Selected LVM for the entire HD
Installed U 14.04
Ended up with small (MB) swap partition and rest of drive with Ubuntu on it
Added Thunderbird and a few other Linux pgms
Added some files (spreadsheet, images, docs)
Made Firefox the default browser
Deleted lots of duplicate book marks
etc.
----------------------------------
Now:
I would like to move my "real" data to a separate partition and also put
there data from prior hard drive, which I still have but which became
unbootable.

I would like to establish a backup protocol and do that for the 'data'

I would like to revcover the Evernote, Tbird, and Quicken data

I would like to make a small partition(s) for Win7 or possibly use it
for a virtual machine to use the 4-5 programs that have no Linux
counterpart.

Are these reasonable goals and is there a handholder while I navigate
the LVM renovation?

Mike R
919 782 9576