[TriLUG] Recommendations for a systemd-less Linux distribution

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Jul 13 14:36:56 EDT 2015

Paul,
I am sure this is not the answer you are looking for, but CENTOS 6.x / RH6 is init.d and that would get you until 2020 as far as support. There are many distributions out there and having played with a bunch of them, one thing you will find out when you switch distribuitions, is that you will spend quite a bit of time learning the little details that used to be simple for you. I have moved on to CENTOS 7 / RH7 for much of our servers. I have not seen that systemd has caused me much issues and it turns out like always after learning it, I like it. I do use it mostly in a server fashion, so I cannot speak for workstation behavior. I am still using CENTOS 6 for my workstation, which is mostly a giant KVM for remote access to everything else. So it does not require much of the newer software you may be looking to use.

I like MINT and UBUNTU as pure workstations for home use. You can pretty much get everything you need, but I do find it a pain sometimes because I am pretty much a RedHat person. However, I find it more stable and easy for family members to use these versions and still get recent software. The CENTOS/RH combo is severely behind and for good reason, they focus on servers.
For me BSD would be my last choice, the differences are significant and they do not stay up to date like the good Debian based workstation distributions.
2 cents worth a pence on a good day.
John Vaughters