[TriLUG] Recommendations for a systemd-less Linux distribution

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 15 01:46:41 EDT 2015

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 14:49:43 -0400
Igor Partola via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> If you are looking to jump ship entirely, consider FreeBSD and
> OpenBSD. Both are excellent. If I wasn't so heavily invested in
> Ubuntu mentally, this is where I would go.
>
> Igor

I would have migrated to OpenBSD in 2013, before I even knew about
this systemd mess: That's how much I like OpenBSD. But OpenBSD has no
accelerated Virtual Machine support, and never intends to get it. So
when you have that one crucial app that runs only on Linux, you'll need
a different piece of metal.

If OpenBSD had functional, hardware accelerated Qemu, I'd switch every
box I had to OpenBSD. That's how much I like it.

But it doesn't have  functional, hardware accelerated Qemu.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21