[TriLUG] Recommendations for a systemd-less Linux distribution

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 15 01:51:42 EDT 2015

On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 15:41:56 -0400
Ken Mink via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> On 07/13/2015 01:27 PM, Paul Boyle via TriLUG wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The short version:
> > I am looking for recommendations (based on your experience) for
> > systemd-less Linux distributions. Ideally, it would be an rpm based
> > distro.  However, if no other options are available which fit these
> > two criteria, I would consider another non-rpm based distro. The
> > important thing is that systemd and all of its infections of other
> > software must not be present. I am familiar with the
> > http://without-systemd.org website. I've read through some of Steve
> > Litt's writings on his efforts in getting a systemd free system.  I
> > don't know if I could do the same with opensuse (my current
> > distribution).
> >
> > So far, I am considering either VectorLinux or PCLinuxOS.  The only
> > problem is that they don't appear to be rpm based distros.
> >
> > In any case, thanks in advance for any guidance or suggestions.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Hi Paul,
>
>      I too went looking for a systemd-less distro. I ended up
> switching to Gentoo. It is definitely not a rpm based distro.
> However, I really like it that you only install what you need. I
> don't use a display manager. I just log in on the console and startx
> to get to my Mate desktop. It has been a very positive experience. I
> find the machine more responsive than it was running Mate on top of
> Mint.
>
> Ken

Ken, were you able to replace udev with eudev? That would be huge!

Yes. On my Gentoo VM I just run startx.

However, IMHO Gentoo is a lot more high maintenance, and I'm not sure
that's what Paul is looking for. I've had my emerge for Sigil running
over an hour now.

Oh, Paul, one more plug for Gentoo: It's like a Linux course in an ISO
image. I found myself much less intimidated with Linux system software
once I installed Gentoo a few times.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21