[TriLUG] Recommendations for a systemd-less Linux distribution

Joseph Mack NA3T via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Jul 15 20:29:18 EDT 2015

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015, Gregory Woodbury via TriLUG wrote:

> Paul (and other readers):
>
> Systemd and other entangling software products are indeed a symptom of a
> industry-wide movement to make Linux distributions more like the other
> dominant platforms (Windows and Mac) by not requiring the user to have to know
> anything about the underlying OS in order to use the computer for typical
> PC-user tasks.

The ARRL has done the same thing to ham radio in the US. Rather than being a
hobby where people learned electronics (as I did in the 50's and 60's), it is
now a hobby where people operate appliances. The reason for this seems to be to
keep the number of hams high, to keep ARRL memberships up, to pay the staff at
the ARRL. I'm barely an active ham anymore and changed over to putting my
energies into Linux. But most linux code won't compile and you have to get it
from a distro. If you get it from a distro, you have to setup your machine their
way. I expect I will soon be blindly installing a distro to get anything to
work, just like I was a Windows user.

I didn't realise that systemd was about to make it even worse.

Joe

jmack (at) austintek (dot) com - azimuthal equidistant
map generator at http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml