[TriLUG] Recommendations for a systemd-less Linux distribution

William Sutton via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 16 07:43:43 EDT 2015

I have been using Gentoo off and on since the early 2000's.  I wrote the
definitive HOWTO for configuring a Matrox G450 under Gentoo[1].

While there can be issues with some of the install guides, the Gentoo
RAID+LVM guide has usually been pretty solid for most of that time[2][3].

I want to dispel one myth you perpetuated about Gentoo.  You don't have to
compile everything.  If you start with a stage 3 tarball, most of your
system utilities already come compiled.  And you can install -bin
(binary only) packages for things like OpenOffice and Firefox.  And if you
do want to run a machine with less horsepower (say a laptop), you can
always compile on a faster machine and distribute the packages.

Regards,

William Sutton

[1] https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-60278-start-0.html
[2] Ever since Gentoo rolled in the UDEV-200 release, udev on Gentoo has
dynamically assigned RAID device numbers at boot time based on when the
volumes were detected.  Unless you assign a super-minor number to the
device and configure the device UUIDs in /etc/mdadm.conf, the result can
be a maddening randomization of what gets mounted where from boot to boot.
At the same time, they rolled in network device name reassignment, so many
people saw eth* become ens*.  This was particularly bad for people who
used Gentoo for routing and suddenly had to figure out what devices now
belonged to which routing rules[3].
[3] Yes, I footnoted a footnote.  This is why, while I'm OK using Gentoo
for a home machine, I would never use it for a production business system.
Things have a tendency to break without warning.