[TriLUG] Why the hate/dislike for systemd?

Lee Fickenscher via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 16 08:58:38 EDT 2015

The "Recommendations for a systemd-less Linux distribution
<http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20150713/074201.html>"
thread has me wondering why people don't like systemd. I'm not trying to
bash anyone in that thread or attack anyone for their stance. This is
purely for my own edification.

I read/skimmed http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page but that
came off like a lot of rhetoric and FUD and seemed to have little substance
that I could find.

I've seen arguments that it isn't *nix-like but that seems incorrect as
systemd appears to be more of a framework of separate executables than a
single monolithic application. IMHO, that fits well into the
toolbox-mentality.

Concerns about stability were mentioned, but I'm running systems that use
systemd that are rock-solid, so that would imply to me that it isn't
specifically a systemd issue.

Some other comments/concerns seemed to be a rally cry against change, which
seems ironic in the computer field.

Does anyone have any concrete reasons why systemd is bad? If so, I'd
honestly love to hear them.
If it is just a matter of opinion and people just don't like it, that's
cool too.
I'd just like to know into which bucket it falls.

Thanks!
-Lee