[TriLUG] Why the hate/dislike for systemd?

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Jul 16 15:24:02 EDT 2015

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015 10:28:40 -0400
Aaron Joyner via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> 1 - Yes, very few linux distributions (just Slackware?) use a pure
> linear SysV init any more.

:-)

Anybody initting with Epoch gets pure linear startup.

http://universe2.us/epoch.html

Same with Suckless Init plus daemontools encore plus LittKit (LittKit
forces it to be linear):

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/diy/suckless_init_on_plop.htm#final_result

But yeah, I know what you mean, if you use the init your distro gave
you, it's probably parallelized to some degree. And all the daemontools
inspired process supervisors are fairly parallel unless you serialize
them with LittKit.

By the way, the benefit of serial (linear) startup is you don't need to
do nearly the amount of work with process dependencies as you would
without it, and it's *much* easier to debug. As far as I can see, the
only benefit of parallel startup is faster boot, and perhaps
hotplugging, but hotplugging can be done outside of init, as is the
case with Devuan's vdev replacement for udev.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21