[TriLUG] Recommendations for a systemd-less Linux distribution

Steve Litt via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Jul 19 17:02:47 EDT 2015

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 21:04:35 -0400
John Mitchell via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Well it seems that Haiku now has their own "boot process" called
> "launch_daemon".
>
> https://www.haiku-os.org/blog/axeld/2015-07-17_introducing_launch_daemon
>
> john mitchell

Since some time, I am working on a replacement of our current shell
script based boot process to something more flexible, a similar
solution to Apple's launchd, and Linux's systemd.

My understanding is that launchd contains an XML parser. We *all* want
an XML parser in PID1, right? Or perhaps the XML parser's in something
forked off of PID1, I haven't read the code.

As far as being like systemd, ummm, wellll, ummm, I'm not sure how I
like that, even if in the comments he goes to great length that Haiku
launcher is *just* the PID1 and launcher, and doesn't subsume stuff
like udev and logind.

And then there's this statement:

Register the launch_daemon in the kernel, so find_port() would no
longer be needed at all.

Am I the only guy whose stomach does flips when reading about Init
reaching into the Kernel? What next, kdbus?

Hey, maybe this Haiku Init will turn out great, but I'd need to be
convinced.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21