[TriLUG] Cryptolina

Jeremy Davis via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 13 09:34:14 EDT 2015

Hey folks, I am sharing this with a few of my favorite group lists which
overlap a bit. My apology if you receive it more than once.

I am heading to Charlotte for the Cryptolina conference early Friday
morning and coming back Saturday evening after the event ends. I have a
gratis booth in return for featuring the event in the Triangle Career
Development Newsletter and I have volunteered to video all the talks. I can
get one extra person in for free, preferably someone willing to help
maintain the gratis booth, where I will have swag for the All Things Open
conference and the Triangle Career Development Newsletter.

Last year Ed Moy, the former US Mint Director 2006-2011, was the main
keynote. His speech drew from experience working with two presidential
administrations and he had a seat on the committee that was tasked with
preventing global meltdown during the last financial crisis. Everyone who
experienced his speech gained profound perspective. It was truly
incredible.

I am making room in my busy schedule for this event because at last year's
event I realized this technology has the potential to be disruptive on a
massive scale. There is a new ecosystem of developers and startup
opportunities growing around cryptocurrency.

It is also important to be involved right now because regulatory
legislation is being written. Many years ago people used to barter for
everything, which was inefficient. Banks provided an efficient system and
solved that problem.  However, today cryptocurrency eliminates the need for
a financial institution to efficiently transmit funds to each other. They
say even the stock exchanges could be replaced by the blockchain. Financial
institutions will naturally be motivated to write legislation proposals to
protect their interests.  It is something to keep an eye on and we need to
educate ourselves and our Legislators on this stuff so they can make
informed decisions when making our new laws.

Dan Spuller and Faruk Okcetin are excellent event organizers and Cryptolina
is an incredible learning experience. I highly recommend it if you can make
it. Cryptolina.com

I have a minivan and could give a few folks a ride and I have some discount
codes.

Pay w/ Credit or Debit on CarolinaTix, the 30% off promo code is MEETBITCOIN

The BitPay link, for 30% off:
https://bitpay.com/cart/add?itemId=D81K9Pyz8pZD2uDxz1FAVd

For Uber 20% off: www.uber.com/go/CRYPTOLINA15   Promo Code - CRYPTOLINA15

--