[TriLUG] Teaching Kids to Program

Ken MacKenzie via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Aug 17 10:45:09 EDT 2015

So if you were going to teach your kids some starter programming, what
language and/or ide would you use?

The oldest 2 *ages 9 and 10 are the two I am targeting at the moment.  And
before anyone gets into the ide or not to ide thing, the reason I mention
that is even though I am a person who will still do a web page in vim I do
appreciate what an ide for creating a GUI can bring to the table,
especially when learning.

So for languages that offer good starting points I was thinking one of the
following:

FreeBasic
Logo (I am assuming there has to be some Logo implementation on Linux)
Python
Golang (probably not a good first choice but I do a lot in Go lately so we
can "learn together"

I think I am leaning towards python, I think one of the things that makes
me lean towards that is libraries like pygame which I think if they take to
this will be right up their alley.

If it matters the computer's in question are running either Mint 17 or
Debian Jessie.  I am kind of halfway between the migration of moving Mint
out in favor of Jessie in the house.

Ken