[TriLUG] Teaching Kids to Program

Francois Dion via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Aug 17 14:26:45 EDT 2015

Ken,

Python is great for that. Tripython is a great group of folks that can
help. And project nights are great for kids. I'll always be grateful to my
father for taking me to the university lab as a  kid and be able to
interact with a bunch of students turned teachers for a moment, learning
logo, then basic and then assembler.

You can also venture in the browser based python environments, like
http://trinket.io/ or http://brython.info both of these supporting turtle
graphics within the python environment. And it scales from tiny
microcontrollers (micropython) to large clusters (currently doing a lot of
python in datascience / big data / hadoop ) so you have a very very large
potential playground. We just did recently a high altitude balloon flight,
everything python, including subsequent datascience from the data gathered
in flight. And this week we are starting a UAV project (sorry, not local,
it's in Winston Salem). By far though, the good old raspberry pi workshops
were the most popular over the years, particularly with pygames.

Francois

raspberry-python.blogspot.com - www.pyptug.org - www.3DFutureTech.info -
@f_dion