[TriLUG] Got IPv6

Phillip Rhodes via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Aug 17 18:59:02 EDT 2015

I got a new upgraded cable modem from TWC a few weeks ago, and was hoping
that would be the "magic sauce" that would enable IPv6.  No joy.  But
tonight I decided, on a lark, to upgrade the firmware on my router (NETGEAR
WNDR4500v2) to the latest version.  After the upgrade, lo and behold, I get
an IPv6 address from the cable modem, with the connection type set to
"DHCP".  And my Fedora box picked up a v6 address from the router as well,
and I can now ping6 google.com and get a response.

I feel like I've finally joined the civilized world!  :-)

Anyway, the moral of the story (if there is one) appears to be something
like "if you're looking for an IPv6 address from a TWC modem and aren't
getting it, make sure your router is running the latest firmware."

Cheers,

Phil
~~~
This message optimized for indexing by NSA PRISM