[TriLUG] DNS question: CNAMEs at second level

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Aug 19 16:36:06 EDT 2015

Hi folks,

I've recently learned that CNAMEs at second-level are forbidden (e.g.
undecidedgames.net can't [read: shouldn't] be a CNAME).  Unfortunately,
that is my domain and that's exactly what it is, a CNAME to my dynip
domain.  Back when I first bought it from 1and1, they allowed
second-level domains to be configured as CNAMEs.

Well, it still works, but now I know it's a violation of standards, so I
want to make it right.  Thing is, having it act like a CNAME is still
exactly what I need.

Is there a right way to have a second-level domain act like a CNAME?  My
IP isn't horribly dynamic, but it isn't static and does change every few
months or so.  I know of no way to update 1and1 A records without using
their web interface (so I can't just have an A record that my server
automatically updates as it does for the dynip domain).

Short of buying DNS service from somewhere that will allow such remote
management (or shelling out for an honest-to-goodness static IP), what
can I do?

Thanks,
-Brian