[TriLUG] Ugh... More DNS questions

Brian Henning via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Aug 20 16:07:08 EDT 2015

Igor, your response matches with my weak understanding of Glue records.  Since the nameserver isn’t something.undecidedgames.net, I don’t need a Glue record.

I have set up A, AAAA, and CNAME records at dns.he.net, and I can handle setting it up for dynamic updates.  The problem is that dns.he.net doesn’t think the delegation is complete, so it won’t respond at all to queries for undecidedgames.net.  I see this message at the top of the Free DNS Management page:

“This zone does not appear to be properly delegated to our nameservers.
If you have corrected this issue, please click the 'Check Delegation' tab below to have the zone rechecked.  Keep in mind that once the change has been made to refect our nameservers in your whois record, it may take up to 24 hours for the actual delegation to take place.”

If I click the Check Delegation button, I get this additional message:
“Looked for an NS and found a CNAME. Domain must not be a CNAME.”

AFAICT, the ONLY servers that are claiming undecidedgames.net is a CNAME are 1and1’s nameservers, who are no longer listed as the authoritative nameservers for undecidedgames.net.

I have no idea why dns.he.net is still asking 1and1.com to resolve undecidedgames.net, because nothing else that I can find points there.  I can’t figure out why it thinks the delegation hasn’t completed.

-B