[TriLUG] Teaching Kids to Program

Peter Neilson via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Aug 28 05:46:12 EDT 2015

On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 22:40:17 -0400, Lance A. Brown via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> Steve Litt via TriLUG wrote on 8/27/2015 9:07 PM:
>> On Thu, 27 Aug 2015 23:41:47 +0000
>> "Joseph S. Tate via TriLUG" <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>>

>>> and optionally
>>>
>>> 4) A rule processing language (like Prolog)
>>
>> I probably put in 40 to 80 hours messing with Prolog, and could never
>> get it to do more than the simplest things. It's very different, and at
>> least for me, very difficult.
>
> Oh god... I took a one month intensive course on Prolog in college.
> Learned it pretty well, but the declarative nature of Prolog absolutely
> ruined my programming in C, Pascal, etc. for months afterward.  Totally
> messed me up.
>
> --[Lance]

Found this somewhere:
Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb ? A: Yes.

Another version:
Q: How many Prolog programmers does it take to change a lightbulb ? A: No.

As for actual usefulness, every single day I use software written in lisp.
Once in a while I write something in lisp. I am not aware of ever having
used anything written in Prolog. Perhaps that shows that I have.

lisp forth and everybody try should