[TriLUG] More on IPv6 with TWC

Phillip Rhodes via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Aug 31 18:16:39 EDT 2015

So, a couple of weeks ago, I got an IPv6 address from my TWC cable modem
for the first time, and all was good.  But then I made a change to my TWC
plan in order to save money and get faster 'net speeds, and somehow in all
that, they sent me yet another new cable modem.   And this one is the one
with a built-in router, wireless access point, etc.

OK, piece of cake, right?  I wanted to keep using my Netgear router since I
already had port forwarding and what-not setup the way I want it.  So I
went into the admin console for the TWC router and changed the NAT mode to
"bridged" which basically makes it "just a cable modem" again.   From there
everything worked fine, until I noticed that I wasn't getting an IPv6
address handed to the Netgear box anymore. Strange.

A little more probing in the admin console on the TWC box showed that the
WAN interface still had an IPv6 address.  So, guessing that somehow that
this box grabbing a v6 address from upstream was interfering with the
ability of the Netgear to ask for a v6 address, I unclicked the "enable
IPv6" on the TWC router, and rebooted it.  Still no IPv6 on the Netgear,
until I rebooted it as well.  Now everything is back to normal.

So, the moral of this story appears to be - IF your TWC cable modem has a
router built in, and you want to use your own router with IPv6, turn off
IPv6 on the built-in router.  That, and "when all else fails, reboot".  :-)

Phil
~~~
This message optimized for indexing by NSA PRISM