[TriLUG] Remote Execution using remctl

Ron Kelley via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Sep 2 08:51:40 EDT 2015

Greetings all,

I am trying to setup an environment whereby an admin server can run commands remotely on another server w/out using SSH (think automation with no interaction).  I know I can setup password-less SSH via the “authorized_keys” file, but I prefer a more granular approach to specify which users/commands can be run.

In my searching, I ran into a tool called “remctl” which seems to do what I want.  Essentially, you create a config file on the client server specifying the remote server, remote username, and command(s) to allow.  However, remctl requires some sort of Kerberos configuration - something I know nothing about.

I was wondering if anyone had experience getting remctl running on CentOS and could share some advice.  Or, perhaps, suggest an alternative to remctl.

Thanks.

-Ron