[TriLUG] WIFI EAP-TTLS connection issue

Chris Bickhaus via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Sep 4 10:33:55 EDT 2015

So my grand plan to move my wife to Linux is hanging in the balance right now, and, as a relative newbie, I could use some help.  Given the privacy issues, etc. with Windows 10, my wife was more than willing to try Ubuntu over Windows 10.  I was able to get Citrix, etc. running for her work, and I thought the laptop was ready to go.  Then she takes it to work, tries to connect to the wifi and can't.  The wifi network is using EAP-TTLS for authentication without a certificate.  When trying to connect, my wife is greeted with a message telling her that no certificate authority certificate has been chosen.  If she clicks ignore, the prompt disappears, but she is not able to connect.  She has confirmed with IT that they are not using a certificate, but that is as far as she got.  She was told that Linux is a highly customizable OS and, as a result, they offer no support for it.

My wife is running Ubuntu 14.04.3 with the 3.19 kernel.  The /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections file for the SSID is as follows:

[ipv6]
method=auto

[connection]
id=(redacted)
uuid=(redacted)
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless-security]
key-mgmt=wpa-eap
auth-alg=open

[802-11-wireless]
ssid=clubs
mode=infrastructure
mac-address=(redacted)
security=802-11-wireless-security

[802-1x]
eap=ttls;
identity=(redacted)
phase2-auth=chap
password-flags=1

[ipv4]
method=auto

Has anyone run into a similar issue and been able to work it out?  I found a few somewhat relevant threads on askubuntu, etc. that talked about eliminating the line system-ca-cert=true, but that line is not present in the file (supposedly a bug surrounding this very issue has been fixed for 14.04).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris