[TriLUG] OT: Powerline networking recommendation

Aaron Schrab via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sat Sep 12 14:33:51 EDT 2015

At 15:40 -0400 11 Sep 2015, Ed Blackman via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>Does anyone have good or bad experiences with powerline networking?  If
>good, favorite brands/models?

My use of powerline networking was mostly good, although at times it was
a bit flaky.  I was using some adapters made by Sling Media that I
bought several years ago, and I doubt if that specific model is still
available.

Another option that you may want to look into is MoCA (multimedia over
coax) to use the coax cables which you may have in the walls for cable
TV.  This can be used even if those cables are being used for TV and/or
internet access.  I was originally using adapters from Netgear, but all
of those have died on me.  I'm now using some Actiontec adapters that I
got from off of Tivo.com, which seems to have the best prices on those.
The MoCA adapters have given me better performance and reliability (even
with units dying) than either powerline or WiFi.