[TriLUG] FYI - FCC seeks comments regarding prevention of users flashing the firmware of devices containing radio transmitters

Matt Flyer via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Oct 8 11:35:21 EDT 2015

My first thought was who is paying for this?  With the immediate
conclusion that it is cell phone companies that don't want people opting
to use non provider software.

My second thought was those who want to put back doors into encryption
into software such as cell phones that would in turn be controlled by a
provider.

Somehow I doubt that without congressional backlash that the FCC has a
prayer of listening to We The People.

In addition to making FCC comments, we should be pounding on the doors of
our elected representatives:
http://www.ncleg.net/representation/WhoRepresentsMe.aspx

My third thought is that this is going to have as much compliance as gun
registry does in places like NY and CT - meaning nearly none at all.