[TriLUG] FYI - FCC seeks comments regarding prevention of users flashing the firmware of devices containing radio transmitters

John Mitchell via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Oct 8 12:28:23 EDT 2015

   This came up over a month ago on Reddit (RTLSDR) where everyone thought
it would be the end of Software Defined Radios(SDR).  The FCC is looking at
regulating SDR radios that have Transmitters. (That is their Job to do
that). They are concerned about the end user changing frequencies AND
output power on their own.
   Ars Technica had a good article on this:FCC proposal:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/09/fcc-accused-of-locking-down-wi-fi-routers-but-the-truth-is-a-bit-murkier/
   One way for something like dd-wrt to get around this might be to not
allow you to change the Power output of the transmitter.

john mitchell