[TriLUG] blocking outbound port 22

Tim Jowers via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Fri Oct 9 09:00:24 EDT 2015

Funny. When I was at Wells the programmers had two computers. One they
routed through their phones to look stuff up. Wells was locked down pretty
tightly. When I was at Bank of America the systems were locked down but
select people were allowed to transfer files out. For instance, the iOS
programmers both had unlocked USB and also a public share where they could
transfer files with the vendor. So, the rules which exist were enforced on
some staff but overlooked and ignored for the outsourced staff (who
actually sat onsite :-). The irony is once off the bank's network the
laptop could still connect to a network and perform unscanned http/https.
The bigger irony is Android and Windows mobile development opens a hole to
write to devices. The security team was more of a bureaucracy than
engineers. Personally, I never messed with it but seems someone could just
encrypt a document and do an https upload and that would be untrackable.
Amazingly, they could even print it out and walk out of the door. Oh my!

Good point about the patents. hadn't realized that. I've worked with
several patent hobbyists. One hoodwinking manager I had at BofA couldn't
program his way out of a hello world but claimed many patents. Probably
each was worthless or he patented something someone else had done.

Cheers,
Tim