[TriLUG] nodes, zero byte files

Brian Weaver via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Mon Oct 26 11:22:17 EDT 2015

An Inode is short for 'Index Node', which is the basic structure used to
track data allocation on a file system. I'm not going to get into the gory
details, but a quick (and probably mostly correct) overview is on the ever
present wikipeda. Just look up 'Inode'

First off consider how many files you want to put on your server. It would
seem that the combination of regular, special, and directories on your box
is currently '4.8M'. If you have *lots* of small files you will need to
allocate more Inodes. You should find out where all the small files live on
your current system and understand the usage patterns of the software
installed.

BTW, just because you remove a file doesn't mean its inode or disk space is
immediately useable. All running programs that have the file open will
prevent the reclamation of an entries inode and disk space.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 10:51 AM, James Jones via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org>
wrote:

> Being one of the senior citizens of Trilug and a late bloomer in computer
> programming and usage, I have many things to learn about Linux.
>
> Recently I had an intrusion in a virtual machine that resulted in
> "exceeding the node limit"
>
> From the virtual machine

> df -ih
> Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/vzfs               4.8M    4.8M       0  100% /
> none                    128K     158    128K    1% /dev

> I plan to destroy the vm and start over. But from a learning standpoint
> what could I do to free up Inodes?
>
> --
> Jc Jones
> Blogs -