[TriLUG] OT: Wired Gigabit Router Postscript, or Post Mortem...

Steve Pinkham via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Tue Oct 27 20:33:04 EDT 2015

On 10/27/2015 10:42 AM, Lee Fickenscher via TriLUG wrote:
> Very cool. Glad to here you finally got it going.
> I still have it sitting in a wish list along with this:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KVF7S40
>
> Which, while significantly more expensive, seems to offer the same
> functionality and adds 10G and a load of ports.
>
> Weighing my needs and options...

Those are one of the cheapest ways to get a couple 10g switch ports, but
make sure you check out the routing speeds at the bottom of the page:

http://routerboard.com/CRS226-24G-2SplusIN

Those are best case marketing numbers and still slower than home routers
from 10 years ago. In terms of routing it's orders of magnitude slower
than the ERL, and won't stand up to Time Warner MAXX let alone google
fiber.  It's quite a bit slower then their $49 routers as well: It's
best thought of as a switch that can route if it *really* has to.

--
 | Steven Pinkham, Senior Security Consultant |
 | https://www.mavensecurity.com              |