[TriLUG] JOB: Bioinformatics HPC System Admin (LINUX System Admin)

Steven Lucovsky via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Wed Feb 10 15:15:29 EST 2016

Bioinformatics HPC System Admin (LINUX System Admin)

Q2 Solutions - EA Genomics, a Quintiles Quest Joint Venture, is a premier genomics services organization, excelling in implementing technologies and services to accelerate research in complex human diseases and their diagnosis and optimal treatment.  Recent advances in RNA/DNA sequencing technologies provide enormous improvements in sequencing quality and throughput.  EA Genomics uses state-of-the-art high-throughput sequencing and computing systems to turn experiments and assays into real laboratory solutions for researchers and biotech/health/pharma companies.  We consistently provide complete solutions by combining our technologies and products with scientific expertise and customer-centric services. Our approach yields the highest-quality data-intensive genomic studies and assays and provides laboratory and bioinformatics consulting services to assist all clients as well.

EA Genomics provides bioinformatics analysis and system services that illuminate and make actionable the large amounts of data commonly generated by genomics assays. Our large and growing bioinformatics staff consists of PhD-level scientists trained in bioinformatics, genetics, molecular biology and statistics as well as professionals and engineers trained in computer science, systems, and software engineering. The software infrastructure for analysis and processing is a combination of custom-built and open-source software which includes specialized application software.  For sequencing, we have implemented a high degree of automated pipelines for RNA/DNA sequencing using a High Performance Computing (HPC) Linux cluster.  New areas of growth include infrastructure and validation of automated systems for Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) level Laboratory Developed Tests (LDTs) based on unique clinical assays and applications.  We are seeking people in technical areas with knowledge of software-intensive systems and process to join our team.

PURPOSE

Manage growth and maintenance of the Linux High Performance Computing (HPC) environment of Expression Analysis | Quintiles, a genomics analysis company.

RESPONSIBILITIES

  *   Installation, configuration, tuning, and troubleshooting multi-vendor multi-site Linux servers.
  *   Administer multi-vendor multi-site Linux servers in a > 2 PB environment with over 3000 processing cores.
  *   Support R&D and production efforts of a bioinformatics team creating and managing next-generation sequencing data.
  *   Manage continual automation of cluster status, maintenance and pipeline status processes in an evolving HPC environment.

REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES

  *   Expert knowledge of Linux systems, especially Ubuntu, and related file systems (XFS, eg).
  *   Excellent knowledge of networking and cluster-based distributed computing.
  *   Excellent knowledge of configuring and deploying VMs.
  *   Ability to deploy computer software, both open-source and internally developed. Knowledge of Docker containers is preferred.
  *   Demonstrated knowledge of system monitoring.
  *   Strong scripting skills (Bash, Perl) and an ability to program is an advantage.
  *   Good written and oral communication skills, ability to document work in wikis.
  *   Effective problem solving skills.
  *   Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers and clients.

MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE

Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematical sciences or a related field with a minimum of 3 years of UNIX System Admin experience at a Global Company.

EEO Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled

To apply for this job, click on the following link:
https://quintiles.taleo.net/careersection/scrapingusquintiles/jobdetail.ftl?job=1528471

For more information about Q2 Solutions - EA Genomics:
http://www.q2labsolutions.com/genomics-laboratories

********************** IMPORTANT--PLEASE READ ************************ This electronic message, including its attachments, is COMPANY CONFIDENTIAL and may contain PROPRIETARY or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message or any of the information included in it is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and permanently delete this message and its attachments, along with any copies thereof. Thank you. ************************************************************************