[TriLUG] Linux Laptop

Ken MacKenzie via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Feb 25 16:39:00 EST 2016

Have you considered chromebooks?

I am waiting today for my second one to arrive.  I got my first (hp14) 2
years ago and today I am waiting on the new Acer R11 to arrive.

So a chromebook is linux, basically a gentoo spin.  But if you put it in
developer mode you can use the crouton script to run a full linux distro in
a chroot (typically ubuntu or debian based).

If you go the crouton route I recommend a model with at least 4gb of ram.

Anyway my experience so far has been an excellent linux ultra portable with
great battery life.  And you know what the chromeOS on it's own is pretty
darn useful.

So how much could I accomplish with the chroot, Well for one I use it at
music gigs to DJ with Mixxx and run real time soft synths controlled by a
USB/MIDI keyboard.

Ken