[TriLUG] Looking for a start

John Vaughters via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Mar 24 16:31:53 EDT 2016

I like all the advice given here, especially the idea of networking and volunteering. I also want to tell you a tremendous success story about a Marine that was about 10 years in the core as an explosives expert. The point is he had zero experience to show in computers. However, he was a computer hobbyist that wanted to make a career in computers. He did know much more than he realized as he found out when he started interviewing. He got his chance and soon ended up in the Security area of computers. With his Clearances that most Military folks have, he was naturally a cut above many civilians for this role. Within 5 years he was trained on some of the top Security Training provided in Washington DC. He excelled in in everything he touched. He tripled his income from the military within that same five years. He started his civilian career about 15 years ago. It was a good time for security professionals at the time, but I think now is a good time as well. It is a success story, because he, like you, has motivation. I have worked with many Military personnel and all of them have what it takes to excel. Employers view former Military experience as a BIG plus and it will work out for you. Just keep pushing forward and follow the great advice you got from this thread. One final piece of advice is to use that Military confidence to just explain that whatever the challenge, you will mount it and succeed by using the disciplined training techniques you learned in the core. That kind of attitude from a military person means alot to an employer that is looking for a long term employee AND it is believed easily precisely because you are military.
Thank you for your service and welcome to TriLUG.
John Vaughters

    On Wednesday, March 23, 2016 5:50 PM, Aaron Cody Weaver via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

 I am having some issues with my career path.
>I am a USMC veteran
>5 yrs of Network admin/System Admin (75%win/25%Linux) experience.
>I have A+,Net+, and Sec+

I am studying for my LPIC and RHCSA. I am looking for an opportunity jr.
Linux System Admin, but I don't seem to many of these postings. What and
where should I be looking. Anyone know of any options? or have any ideas of
what I could do next.

Thanks
--Cody
--