[TriLUG] bash script help

Mauricio Tavares via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Mar 27 00:13:32 EDT 2016

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 9:25 PM, MvER - TrLUG via TriLUG
<trilug at trilug.org> wrote:

> I expect this is a simple syntax problem, but it eludes my efforts:
>
> Partial log of script
>
> SETTING THE VARS:------------------------
> dt [date] is:          2016-03-26:2113    [want to append this to  file
> name eventually]
> kpdir is:                Desktop/    [actually /home/mver/Desktop is the
> full path. I am running in /home/mver as the owner and user]
> keepass source is:     mr-master.kbdx
> kpdest is:             Dropbox/Apps/Keepass2Android/
> kpdestarch is:      Dropbox/Apps/Keepass2Android/mr-master.kbdx
>
> Beginning backup of files @ 2016-03-26:2113
>
> RUNNING THE COMMAND ----------------- [i want to backup mr-master.kbdx
> into Dropbox]
> rsync -vnuxit ${kpdir}${kpsrc}   $kpdestarch
>
> WHICH EXECUTES AS: -----------------
> rsync -vnuxit   Desktop/mr-master.kbdx
> Dropbox/Apps/Keepass2Android/mr-master.kbdx

> rsync: link_stat "/home/mver/Desktop/mr-master.kbdx" failed: No such
> file or directory (2)

      So it thinks /home/mver/Desktop/mr-master.kbdx ain't there. If
you add to your script a line saying

ls -lh ${kpdir}${kpsrc}

can it find /home/mver/Desktop/mr-master.kbdx out? What are the file
attributes? Is rsync being run as an user who happens to be able to
read said file?