[TriLUG] How to debug piping issues

Brian via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Sun Mar 27 23:24:09 EDT 2016

On 03/27/2016 12:13 AM, Steven Tardy wrote:

>> On Mar 26, 2016, at 11:33 PM, Brian via TriLUG <trilug at trilug.org> wrote:
>>
>> $ zbarcam --raw | xdotool type --file -
>
> Typical buffering, probably have to send 4kB before the second program sees anything. Google suggests "unbuffer" may prevent the pipe from buffering.

$ unbuffer zbarcam --raw | xdotool type --file -

No difference :-(

Plus it seems as though if 4k buffering were the issue, my perl script
(run this way: zbarcam --raw | barwedge.pl ) would have the same
problem, and it doesn't.

Maybe there's something about how xdotool type --file - expects the
stdin file handle to behave (perhaps it doesn't type anything until it
sees an EOF or something).

Anyway, thanks!
-B