[TriLUG] Fault-tolerant FS for battery-operated Linux

Brian Henning via TriLUG trilug at trilug.org
Thu Mar 31 16:42:45 EDT 2016

Hi folks,

I'm working on designing and building a quadcopter using a Raspberry Pi Zero for its brain.  The desire for a flight recorder has led me to consider what would be the best filesystem for a system that could be unceremoniously shut down at any moment (battery exhaustion and physical crashes being high on the list of causes).

My plan is to have the root partition mounted read-only, with a separate partition for logging (perhaps mounted under /var).

Given that the hardware involved is a MicroSD card and a slowish ARM CPU, what do folks recommend as a good fault-tolerant FS for the writable partition?  The ideal being as much forensic data available in the event of the thing falling out of the sky.

Cheers,
-B